Saturday, July 5, 2014

Las Vegas 2014 Style

In June Susan and I went to Las Vegas and she attended a conference.    I was along for the ride.  But not alone because her co worker Mariela went to the conference and her husband Miguel was on the ride along too.

Not being big gamblers, we found other things to do on the trip.  Eating good meals is always part of the experience.  I picked a steakhouse Carnevino which was at our Venetian/Palazzo hotel.  Unfortunately it was not worthy of a great review.

On the other hand, our last night we went to Delmonico Steakhouse and it was outstanding.  If you want a good meal, go where the New Orleans chefs are.  Emeril lived up to his high reputation.  Susan had a bone-in filet that was as good as it gets.  I had fried chicken and waffles which were well prepared with blackeyed peas.  I told you it was a Down South chef.

Some cool events we did were Rock Wall Climbing on  40 foot wall.  That was both a mental and physical challenge.  I also got a barber cut at the spa with a straight razor.   That was a first of a throwback experience.  I had a nice visit with the barber Philip.

Miguel and I played golf one day at Bali Hai which was an outstanding course.  He also enjoyed going to the Taylor Made Performance Center.  We had a nice round with father and son Brent and Keith from South Africa.

Tuesday Miguel and I got up very early to go on a 7 a.m. helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon.  We flew out of the Boulder City airport.  Funny that we saw Brent and Keith there as well!  The helicopter ride was smoother and faster than I expected and it was over pretty quick.  I'd like to go back and do a longer ride.    We flew what was called the Green Four Route and flew over Hoover Dam, the Pat Tillman Bridge, Lake Mead, the Colorado River and followed it into the Grand Canyon.  We flew over but did not stop at the Skywalk.

Tuesday night we saw the show Rock of Ages which was a fun 80s show.   Being of that vintage we enjoyed the show but became aware that there were a lot of younger people in Las Vegas.   There were all night concerts for Electric Daisy Carnival and people were out at all hours gambling and drinking and dancing and such.  I was glad to have the fun I did with all the clean activities we did.

Still came back pretty tired-   You know its a big vacation when you're ready to get back to work and rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment