Friday, January 15, 2016

Cancun Mexico

Our time share program through the Westin Hotels allowed us to come to the Westin Lagunamar in Cancun this week.  We arrived Friday very late at midnight but the nonstop flight from Reynosa MX made it worthwhile.

My highlight was that I wanted to go to the ancient Mayan city of Chichen Itza and the trip did not disappoint.  It was a full day commitment but the time of year was ideal - it would have been very tough in the heat of the summer in the central Yucatan jungle.  But during January... perfect!  Our bus tour left at 0730 and the trip went very fast with someone else driving.    I had read there would be a crush of tourists but the area was very large and they knew how to absorb all the people.  The temples were quite large and impressive but it was cool to think that there was so much more to be uncovered.  We really don´t know a lot about the culture since it was quickly repressed and destroyed by the Spanish colonizers-conquerors.  All was mystery, impenetrable mystery -according to a quote in 5 Unlucky Days, the book by my classmate Jim Diego Kelly.  I´m glad I read it before I came.

On the way back we went to the Ik Kil cenote which was.. the best swimming hole ever.  I really enjoyed it and it is hard to describe how cool it was.  But it was about 26 meters down to the water. The water depth was 50 meters so it was like an ancient waterfall plunge pool caved in on all sides.

When I got back it had been a big day.  Glad I did it.

That was the big excursion of the week.  Otherwise it was a true vacation of sleeping late, not driving, eating and drinking, reading, even watching some football and CNN.  It was nice to think that everything could stay on hold for a week with out me.

No comments:

Post a Comment