Thursday, February 4, 2016

55th Anniversary of Ed and Kate

Happy anniversary to my parents Ed and Kate Turley, who were married in Houston, TX on February 4, 1961.

They were married at St. John the Divine Episcopal Church in Houston, TX.  My mother's home church.  The officiant was the Rev. Tom Summers, who was a good friend of my grandparents who were Vernon and Pearl Elledge.  My grandfather was able to dance at his daughter's wedding, but regretably died less than a year later in January 1962.

The Best Man was Ralph DeShong, who introduced my parents along with Janet DeShong.  I think that some of the other groomsmen were some of my dad's friends from the UT Golf Team - Ray, Teddy?   My Uncle Vernon (Jr.) must have been in there.  He was my mother's older brother who was already married to my mother's sorority sister Sharon.

 My father was working as an accountant for Price Waterhouse and only later thought of going to law school.  My mother was one of the secretaries in the Office of the Mayor of Houston, who at that time was Lewis Cutrer.

Members of the bridal party were my mother's good friends who all lived on the same street growing up:  Fay, Betsy, Marianne, Francia.  They are all still good friends all these years later.  And of course my aunt Sharon.  There was no flower girl or boy as families were smaller and more closely spaced.

My mother actually borrowed a dress from her friend.  The reception was at...could it have been the Houston Country Club?  Perhaps that's when my dad thought, "Someday I'll be a member here".  All these years later, yes, he is.

They spent their honeymoon in New Orleans.  That's where Susan and I went on our honeymoon in 1990.

No comments:

Post a Comment