Tuesday, October 24, 2017

1963 Corvette

While at Keith's shop last week, Jason drove the 63 Corvette from the warehouse across the street.  It was parked out front and I went to sit inside it.  After a bit, Jason asked "Want to drive it?"

Yes! was the answer.  I fired it up and worked to back it out carefully.  A 4 speed manual transmission.  327 cubic inch V-8 engine.  Good thing I am knowledgeable and experienced.  The 1963 model with the split rear window is very desirable for collectors.  This car was very original, few modifications.  No shoulder seat belt.  A very narrow grip on the steering wheel.  Seats only come up to your shoulders at most.  No head rests.  The original "Unsafe at Any Speed".

Funny thing ... you press the gas and nothing happens.  So you really have to press the accelerator hard.  Even more so with the brakes.  Nothing happens at first - like you have no brakes.  But then you really mash it and it stops.  Definitely a heavy, more mechanical feel.  On a modern car, you just tap the brake or accelerator and things happens quickly.

I carefully drove it for 5 minutes through the neighborhood.  Kind of like sneaking out Mom's car at age 15, I didn't really want to see anyone while I was illicitly driving.  A good time and a good memory now that I think of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment