Sunday, June 9, 2019

Those we look up to

Sad news that I found out that my first "The Skipper" John Valentine died last year, January 2018.

His obituary tells some basic info:
https://www.mcnuttfuneralhome.com/obituaries/obituary-listings?obId=2876469#/obituaryInfo

I have a longer and fuller story to share about this fine man, who I was lucky to have as a friend and client for a number of years.  He was one of the first people I met when I went on my own as a lawyer in 1996.  He must have seen something in me, as I did in him. 

He was a decorated war hero from the Vietnam War.  He made and lost a fortune several times over.  He had a way of telling you the coolest stories without making you think he was bragging or puffing.  He was a polo player, he did business all over the world, he had a chateau in Bordeax, France.  In that way he inspired me to live more authentically.

I also thought of him as the original Most Interesting Man in the World.  In that respect I was lucky to have known him.  I think that it probably the highest compliment that anyone could give.


No comments:

Post a Comment