Friday, March 9, 2012

Chechessee Creek

Today Friday we were scheduled to play at Chechessee Creek which we had played at last year. Since it looked like rain, Brian was scouring the weather reports and keeping a close eye on the window and the barometer. After breakfast, he decided we must leave an hour early to have a chance to beat the rain. So off we went, down the road, across 2 bridges, turned right and we were there.

It looked remarkably the same from last year: the white siding buildings, the course right there. We were met and went to the range. I could see the first hole that I remembered from last year. Brian had said the pros hit it a ton off that hole. After a short warm up, we hustled to the first tee. Today was bound to be a fast round.

No pictures since I forgot my camera in the haste to get here. The first hole is a dogleg left, reminiscent of the 1st at the old Austin C.C. ( only in the fact that its a dogleg left around a big tree). Like in Austin, I hit it left, then right, then short. But then I made the putt for par from off the green. Par on #2 and then a nice birdie on hole #3 (like hole #3 at Palm View). So now I'm -1 after 3. Sweet!

Three double bogies later and I've reverted to the mean :( But we continued on. The holes have very challenging greens to approach, chip and putt and that is the main defense of the course.

The good news is that we played quickly and had no rain problems. On the back side, I started hitting the driver better and played better. There were some very nice holes. On #12, it required a long drive over a marsh. I hit a good drive, just missed the approach, hit a decent chip that just missed the right spot and ended up with 6.

On # 13 it was a par 3 that I remembered as near the driveway in. I was thinking that I was due for a hole in one, but alas, today was not the day, as has been every day before. A hole in one is like virginity: You think everyone else has one, you wonder if you'll ever have one, you ultimately wonder what all the fuss was about, and chalk it up to youth.

I've decided that it will not be the defining point of my golf career, whether or not I ever get one. I've got other bigger goals and have already had many successes. But if it ever happens, I'm sure it will be a memorable experience.

#17 was another nice hole with a long drive over a marsh. After hitting it over, it was only 100 yards to the green. A very tough green, to boot. The caddies affectionately called the marsh "Lake Stupid". I liked that one.

#18 was another long par 4. I hit a nice drive, and still had a 3 wood into the green. I hit the 3 wood into the woods and took a 6. But I still ended with 84 (43-41) which was a very good score.

Chechessee is unusual in that it is a course where caddies are required, everyone walks, and the layout is such to encourage walking. If there are other courses like this, there are not many. Perhaps Austin Golf Club (one of my favorites) is the one most like it.

Afterwards, we had lunch. Since it is a Lenten Friday, we all agreed to have no meat. The catfish was good. Then we went toward Bluffton to go to Edwin Watts. Sean had mentioned that he might need a new driver, so his dad suggested they go find one. At the golf store they had fun talking to the salesman, learning about all the new clubs, test hitting several in the net and watching the results on the computer. I wisely kept quiet and just watched. They both ended up getting new drivers, Taylor Made Rocket Ball RBZ. I'll look forward to trying out Sean's when we are in San Francisco.

Dinner was at Sigler's which was really tasty. Susan would have like it. I had a beet salad, followed by the salmon with a couple of fried oysters on top. Delish!

Tomorrow it's an early start, leaving here at 0700 to get to the Savannah airport, then ATL, then a 5.5 hour flight to SFO. Looking forward to getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment