Thursday, March 8, 2012

Spring Island - on a Thursday




Today seemed like a day at camp. After waking up and having breakfast, we went to play golf. After golf, lunch, then a nap. Then a little free time for a trip to the fitness center. Then back for a shower and to dinner.


A man could get used to this place. Here they have it all: a baseball field, a croquet field, tennis courts, horseback riding, hiking, birding. We saw some cool birds today: black vulture, ibis, some type of heron. Also a number of alligators.


Our golf game was not only enjoyable but profitable. Playing in the "Men's Day" we were in the bet pot for $15. Not having any idea of what the scorekeeping was like, we simply played our best. I played pretty well, particularly out of the sand. I hit a number of good drives also
, birdied the 16th hole, and made a great par from the sand on #18. So imagine my good fortune to be handed $15 in winnings. I turned that around and reinvested it - got a nice souvenir cap at the pro shop.

Here are a few pictures of the course. This is the 17th hole, which is right on the marsh. I hit just short left and bounced in the left marsh. Doh!

I liked seeing the palm tree here and there. It reminded me of home. These here are called Palmetto Palms, hence the Palmetto State.

It was an enjoyable course. It reminded me of one of my favorites, Shoal Creek, especially the front 9 which was more inland. As you progressed, the marsh areas were more in the backdrop. And the tabby walls were more evident on the back 9. Tabby refers to a shell/mortar mix that is/was commonly used in the Low Country.

I'd like to spend some more time in this area: Savannah, Hilton Head, Beaufort, Charleston and so forth. These trips are good but it makes you want to be spending a week or more. Of course, we've already got a lot of time available. But it is a nice place and there is a lot to see.

Tomorrow we've got another round scheduled at the same course we played last year, Chechessee Creek. I liked it a lot, so I'll look forward to going back. Brian thinks it might rain - he's quite the weather watcher, but I'm more of the optimist. We've got all day so we should get at least some golf in. If not, on to California!

No comments:

Post a Comment