Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Ironman 70.3 Galveston Race Report

Number 1 on the Life List is done.   I completed the Half Ironman, or Ironman 70.3 in Galveston on Sunday, April 6.  In a better than expected time of 7:16.  My results are HERE.

Best of all, I had  a good time doing it.  Training started on November 17, 2013 and so that was 20 weeks of  training.  As a result, I felt prepared during all three legs.  Putting it all together was tough as being out for over 7 hours is something you are not likely used to.

Weather turned out to be nearly ideal.   Cloudy with some wind but not excessive made for a welcome break from the hot sun that was expected.  The wind made for difficult chop on the water which some found tough.  I was otherwise inspired and had my best swim time of 48 minues.  On the way out the waves were hitting hard, but once we turned, it was like being in a current.  Swim distance was 1.2 miles.

On the bike course, the road was very smooth and the winds made for a smooth pedal.  It was out past San Luis Pass and then turned around.  Fortunately, the wind was not in our face either way.  There was rain which made for slippery handlebars.  I kept a good grip on so as not to slip off.  There were portajohns along the way which made for good rest stops.  Some people could ride without stopping but that was not part of my plan.   At rest stop number 4 when I was lagging from lack of food, they brought me everything I needed.  That was a highlight.  Even a cookie - I had been good.

After that I was good to go and finished the ride going through the old airfield, by the Lone Star Flight Museum, a charity of my dad's.  That was a good feeling and to be able to ride on the old runway was pretty neat.  The ride was 56 miles.

Then the run started.  I knew that I just should settle in.  On the run course, once we got started, I was not sure I was going the right way.  But we settled in.  At some point, I felt like I should be running faster and was thinking that I wanted to get it finished.

But then I thought "This will be over before you know it, you'll run the pace you can, and you need to enjoy every bit of this, because tomorrow you'll be ordinary again".  On this day, running, I felt extraordinary!

That really helped, as I settled in to the 13.1 miles.  My back was getting sore so when I walked a minute at a time, it helped and I got back running again.  I had to keep fueling up again because my energy would lag and then bounce back.  There were plenty of aid stations so it was a challenge to know when to stop and when to run by.

At mile 11, I realized I needed to fuel  up and walk once last bit and then, the run was up the bridge, by the dock, down the waterside, around the corner, and left veer across the finish line.  I finished running strong and felt great.

I still had to hold on the rail as they took my chip.  After seeing John and Sam come in, and an emotional photo, I had to get something to eat and drink.  I enjoyed seeing my friend Lori thereafter.   She's doing the full 140.6 Ironman in May.

1.2 mile run + 56 mile bike + 13.1 run = 70.3 miles.

I am an Ironman!

No comments:

Post a Comment