Monday, May 30, 2016

Making Amends in Austin

Step 9 of the the 12 Steps involves Making Amends.  When I was in Austin recently I recalled some past problems/embarrassments/unfinished business.  I had the sense that now was the time to make things right in whatever way that was available.

Dinner was Friday night at Pelon's, which as old Austinites will remember, Jaime's Spanish Village, on Red River.  In 1984 or so, a group of us went there for dinner.  As we had just turned 19, the legal drinking age, we proceeded to order a round of beer and margaritas.  The waiter, seeing us as barely legal, asked for ID.  We grudgingly gave it to him, even thought we had it.

After he left one of the table said "No tip for you!"  Since the die was cast, we all agreed at the end to pay the $75.00 bill and we left a quarter on the table for a gratutuious... snub.  As we were leaving, the angry waiter chased us out and threw the quarter at us, saying "Here, you left this on the table!"

This time the service was truly bad and our food was late.  The manager did comp the $160.00 bill.  But I insisted myself on paying the 25% tip to our waiter.  I hope that might have made amends to any servers I have stiffed.


On Sunday,  I visited the grave of my uncle Vernon.  As I was leaving I called my aunt Sharon who was married to him for 25 years.  I had lost touch with her after their bitter divorce and splitting of the family along such lines.  But when I had seen my cousin Deborah recently, I got Sharon's number.

Even thought I had not talked to her in years, we picked right back up and planned to get together to visit the next time.   I felt that I had taken some action to recharge that relationship.  I hope that might make amends to any relative or friend that I have forgotten about.


On Monday, I played golf at Jimmy Clay.  One of the last times I remember being there was 1983 in the High School District Championship.  A front of rain blew in and I was unprepared, wearing only short and a shirt.  I was cold and wet and it affected the game.

On this new day, the weather was threatening to be the same.  I was unprepared again.  This time, I thought, I must do something different and went inside to buy a jacket, whether I needed it or not, I was going to have it this time.  I wore it the first 9 holes and it kept be warm and dry.  I hope that might make amends for other times I was unprepared for the weather.


Taking all of these at face value, you could say that I was just doing the right thing.  But in my mind, it was the past flashing back where I might not have known enough to do good.  Those memories were in mind as I was able to proceed in what today I was confident was a better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment