Sunday, November 6, 2016

80s concerts

I recently saw Rush-Time Stand Still about the fandom of the Canadian trio. There were many fans who had seen many live shows. But I seemed to either have slept through those opportunities - or maybe I just didn't choose to spend the money. Of course, concerts were not as big of a business back in the 80s.

Here's the major concerts I did see in the 80s:

Van Halen - Austin - 1981 - my first time. Like many first times, it wasn't that great. David Lee Roth was so drunk...he forgot the words to "Running with the Devil"

The Police - Austin - 1983 - The Fixx opened. Outdoors at the Meadows. Synchronicity Tour. Who knew it would be the last for many years.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - 1984 - Austin. Great show. Southern Accents tour.

Dire Straits - Madrid, Spain, 1985 - right before they blew it up with Money for Nothing.  That time it was me who was so drunk.  Not the best way to enjoy a concert. I was truly on the front row - the show was outdoor and I was right up front.

 Madonna - RFK Stadium 1987 - Level 42 opened. Washington DC - an early stadium show. Who knew she would still be filling stadiums in 2016?  I had two women with me for that show - now that IS the best way to enjoy the show.

In college in Lexington VA in the 80s, we had a lot of music booked into our little town for entertainment.  So I went to nearly all of those shows:

General Public
REM
The Romantics
The Temptations
The Spinners
George Throughgood and the Destroyers
Violet Femmes
Otis Day and the Knights
The Time

I even say the Red Hot Chili Peppers at the college pub.  Can't remember much more specific than that.

I was not that much into Country music then, but I did see a memorable performance by George Strait in 1989 in the rodeo arena in Kingsville, Texas.  Doesn't get much more Texas than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment