Thursday, May 25, 2017

A Visit to the Good Doctor

I had written about my former college professor Dr. J.D. Futch on my blog.  In a happy occasion worthy of social media, my writing led me to a new friend RedCloudJL who not only was a former student of Dr. Futch, but has become a regular visitor and local agent for Dr. Futch's [very extended] family.  As a confirmed bachelor, he had no children and was an only child himself.

So Red was able to tell me about his visits to Dr. Futch who is in assisted living suffering from dementia now.  For my reunion visit, I went to see the Good Doctor.

I met him in his room at the Borden Center.  A cross between a hospital room and a bedroom in a home.  There were some notable decorations.  Dr. Futch wondered how someone knew to put a Cannoleto in this motel.  He noted that I was "very elegantly dressed" and asked if I was an art dealer?

I let him know that I was a former student but while he tried to place me, he did ask me more than once what my name was.  But that was not important.  After a few jump starts in conversation, he resumed a familiar lecture pattern.  Once he got to speaking about something he remembered, he was on a roll.

He told me of his parents and grandparents.  They had migrated from Florida to Maryland over the years.  His father was a sales representative for River Brand Rice.  Futch Jr. was pushed away from attending college.  His mother thought he would learn "sinful practices".  Dr. Futch was incredulous that someone would think that college was bad.  Of course he went to make his career in college and leave his mark on W&L.

He did know that Red was "A Good Man!"  When he asked where I lived (McAllen, Texas) he recalled a former student Mike Allen '86.  I informed him that Mike was a prominent political commentator now.  "Really?"  He was pleased to know that.   And he also said that he recalled his family sending Christmas cards to relatives in Texas as a teenager.

I told him of my readings by Casanova and his escapade in Venice.  Dr. Futch was pleased I had done such reading and encouraged me to go to Venice while I was young enough for all the walking.  He recalled going there for weekends after he was fortuitously assigned to Italy while in the US Army (in those draft days).  He said that the British monarch patterned themselves after the Venetian nobility.

After telling him the year of 2017, he recalled that would be the 100th anniversary of the US entering World War I.  His father was too young for that, again fortuitously.  He noted that President Woodrow Wilson was a "Protestant Saint" and was very full of himself.  We noted the difference between the W&L President Wilson during my time.  "Woodrow Wilson did not tamper with W&L", he noted.

He asked if I knew Dr. Leyburn (from the 1950s and 60s).  I said No, but I did read his book on Scotch-Irish immigration to the English Colonies.  Dr. Futch did not know/had forgotten of such a book, but favorably noted that Dr. Leyburn was so suave and elegant that of course he would write favorably of those simple people.

All in all, a very good visit.  My first interaction with someone with dementia.  It was not as extreme as I expected.   But he was very physically handicapped - in a wheelchair, hard of hearing, limited use of his hand, round the clock nursing.  I was glad to got to go.

Thanks Red, for all you do for our Elder Statesman.

No comments:

Post a Comment