Sunday, January 14, 2018

2017 Golf in Review

I'm including a bit of the New Year of 2018 in this.  I just finished playing the Ano Nuevo tournament at the McAllen Country Club.  I played with Brian H.   We have played before a number of times - I thought our partnership would be a good one.  While we enjoyed playing with each other, the pressure of tournament golf got to both of us.  54 holes later, we were glad to finish and leave the course.  Maybe its the setting of the course up to make it harder - greens are faster - pins are in the hard spots - tees are back, but it makes it tough.  Susan said "I told you not to play in those tournaments" - I may have to pass the baton....  but it does feel a bit early to do so.  We will see.


As David Cook would say, my golf score in not a reflection of my worth.  I have had a lot of enjoyment this past year on the course.  I did play in the 9 holes tournament in April, May and June.  It was a Tuesday evening event and we did play with a lot of different people.  We won some, we lost some, it was a pretty good time.  And the course was not set up so hard.

I did have a record round of 79 this year.  I couldn't believe it when I added up the scorecard.  I think that is why I did so well.   Plus I had 2 guests so I was talking them around the course, which helped me play more methodically.  Looking at the card, it was from the green tees, 5,946 yards.  I guess that is more my speed.

And I did witness some excellent golf.  On January 1, 2017, I played with Papito who is on the University of Houston golf team.  He shot 30-33= 63, 8 under par at McAllen CC.  from the back tees, 6,397 yards.  We also played again on December 31, a nice bookend.   He was -2 after 9 holes when we had to call it due to weather.   I also played with "The Future", Jimmy Lee who  is ranked in the top 50 junior golfers in the US.

Ed and I played several times:  on our trip to Virginia, we played the Lexington Golf and Country Club, then in Wilmington, DE I played the Ed Oliver Golf Course (former Wilmington CC) and then we played Bidermann Golf Club, a very old money place.

We did also play in December at Houston C.C. Since it was wet, we played from the 150 yard mark in and that was fun, since we were hitting short irons into every green.  I like that approach.

Kyle and I played Lions Municipal in Austin when we were there for the Blondie and Garbage concert in August.  It was a hot day - I enjoyed showing Kyle around.  He said "I can tell this course means a lot to you".    Looking at the card, I shot 82 which was another low round.  I guess I just have to be inspired to play my best!




No comments:

Post a Comment