Sunday, October 14, 2018

Golf with Ed

Last weekend I wanted to play golf while in Houston and let my father Ed know.  That Sat. afternoon, we went to where it all began for me, the Houston Country Club.  Ed didn't play but drove around the cart.  He said I would play from the 3 star tees (what we used to call the Old Man tees) and see if I could break 80.  I thought that was a tall order.

So I gave it a good go, and shot 83.  Power of a lofty goal.  Even playing from the forward tees, I still tended to aim for the same fairway areas.  I did hit the driver well but the greens were much faster than I expected.  As Ed said, "if you had not have 3 putted, you would have broke 80."  True, with 3 putts for bogey on 12, 14, 16 and 17.  Still, a very good and fun round.

The highlight hole is Number 8, which is like a remodeled room in an old house.  What was once a quirky par 5 is now a stout risk/reward part 4.  I hit a great drive and 8 iron on the green and 2 putted for par.

I did recall many good rounds with my late friend Robert Koelsch there.  Also I had never noticed how many of the greens are elevated about 4 feet.  Funny the things you notice.  Some things don't change.  Same staff, same members, same logo.  A good afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. House Raising Houston : House raising is must important in Houston. During rainy season few areas been flooded.

    ReplyDelete