Thursday, January 5, 2017

the Zombies of Winnesheik County

While driving through Northeastern Iowa this summer, I stopped at a convenience store in Ossian.  The town was very quaint with American Flags flying, but at 4:30 pm on a Wednesday was rather quiet.



I walked into the store as an older man was walking out.  There was only 1 car there, a nice Cadillac Escalade, which I assumed was his.  Didn't get a chance to talk.

I and the clerk were were the only ones in there.  We talked for a quick bit.  He was a young white man with a red shirt.

Just then a black man came in.  He had parked his big 18 wheeler out front.  He was asking for directions to a place even the clerk didn't know.  As an outsider in the town, I was already kind of lost.  I wondered why a truck would be driving these tiny back roads of Highway 52.

At that point, a middle aged man in overalls came in.  The truck driver asked him if he knew the place to go.  The middle aged man as he talked, was missing a front tooth and had a strong Upper Midwest/Canada accent.  I thought it unusual that no one knew where the truck driver was trying to go.

As I was walking out, I noticed the license plates showing Winnesheik County, Iowa.  I asked it that was where we were.  He said yes and that he was from Allamakkee County, which is notable for its Effigy burial Mounds of Native American Culture.

Just then a man and woman drove up in a mint condition 80s Mustang.  A young boy got out, they exchanged pleasantries, and the boy left with his presumptive father, back to Allamakkee County.  Obviously this was a convenient drop off spot.

These were the only people I interacted with in Northeastern Iowa that day.

When I returned my friend Paul who had lived in Iowa before said "There are more Zombies per capita in Winnesheik County in the entire USA"

Could I have encountered a few Zombies that afternoon?

1 comment: