Saturday, June 3, 2017

San Marcos

"How do you get to San Marcos?" asked John.  I initially thought it a strange question from a native Texan.   I emailed the answer - I -10 West from Houston to Luling, then Hwy 80 West to San Marcos.

But after being there for 2 nights, I'd say I didn't really know about San Marcos myself.  Never having spent more than a night there for a wedding in the 90s, I was a stranger.  I was pleased to see that it has become a little Boulder, a college town with a hip, current look.  Downtown courthouse square was a great place to walk around with lots of restaurant choices and bar choices for the party crowd.  I enjoyed dinner at the Root Cellar the first night.  Today lunch with my cousin Deborah was at Aqua Brew, which she recommended.

Our hotel, the high rise Embassy Suites was certainly the best lodging between Austin and San Antonio.  Recommended.

Thursday I had a delightful visit with Rupert, the proprietor of Tackleberry's, a local gun shop.  Capt. Eugene Tackleberry was a character in the Police Academy movies.  As you can tell, he had a great sense of humor - and he was a Brit so it just sounded even better from him.

Friday we had a full day:  Ziplining at Wimberley - a quaint little town I had only heard about.  BBQ at Miss Mae's, a local place - good value.  And then floating the Guadalupe River loop near Canyon Lake.  And dinner at the Gristmill in Gruene.  The Hill Country area seemed very authentic - you'd never know you were near a big city like Austin.  Everything and everyone seemed to have a small town vibe.

A good trip with John and Kyle.  Our group the Wrenegades did it again.  We are already planning the next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment