Monday, February 15, 2010

Austin Marathon

I completed the Austin Marathon yesterday, yesterday, Sunday, February 14. Completed it in 5 hours, 29 minutes. Kristi & I ran the whole way together, and for the most part did great.

The course was a bit slower that I anticipated. I heard about the hills but expected that it would not be a big deal. My friend Frank advised that my goal time of less than 5 hours was ambitious, given the hills. I didn't believe him. Silly me, since he's the guru of running marathons.

As it turned out he was right. We ran the 1st 20 miles in less than 4 hours, but the last 10K was slow, lots of walking, slow running, some stopping to stretch. But we got it done, she ran ahead the last 200 M at my urging and finished at 5:28 about 40 seconds faster.

I was the walking wounded back to the hotel. Spent! I only had about 40 minutes after getting there to check out, so I grabbed a 20 minute nap and then a quick shower and change. I realized that I needed some food, having had none that day until 2:00 pm and 26 miles later.

One chicken fried steak later, I was feeling much better. I caught the blue van to the airport and got back to Harlingen at 10:00 p.m and drove home, getting home at 11 and straight to bed. I did make it to work today at 9 so that was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment