Thursday, September 13, 2012

Wurst Triathlon & Austin trip

After some back and forth, we decided to go to Austin to visit Sarah last weekend, even though she had a Petroleum Engineering program all day Saturday.  We were already planning to go Friday and we had tickets to the game, so it must have been meant to be.  We arrived in front of her dorm at noon and she was outside so we got to see her early.

We had lunch someplace "far from campus" at a place I suggested North by Northwest.  Then they were shopping and I went to New Braunfels for my triathlon packet pickup.  Since we were planning to go to Austin originally the next weekend, I looked for another tri to do and this was it.

Saturday John and I left the hotel at 0530 for New Braunfels.  I had done this same Wurst Tri in 2009 as my first official one and it was a slog.  After that time I decided I needed help and started training with Sandy.  It was great to return looking for redemption.  In fact that is the name of the race program, Redemption.

The swim was in 2 parts, first in the spring fed pool (72 degrees) then the Olympic Pool (86 degrees).  Quite a change.  250 meters in the first, 250 in the second.  Then off to the hills on the bike and back tothe park for the run.  I really had improved on the run and was quite pleased
at my results (28:58 on the run).

We had arranged to go to a tailgate party before the game.  It turned out to be so much fun, we play to go back regularly.  Like a camping trip more than a big party.  Nice and relaxing.

The game was a blowout,  Texas beat New Mexico 45-0.  All the RBs got in on the action and the running game was good.  Now the real season starts next Saturday v. Ole Miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment