Thursday, August 24, 2017

Arctic Expedition

Listening to a podcast about an advertisement for women to join an Arctic expedition in the 90s reminded me of an old memory.

It was 1987 and I was under-employed living in Washington DC.  I had taken to going to the Georgetown University career office to look for job postings (there were none).  But there were job-hunting books to read.  It felt like I was doing something to find a job.

One day I saw on a bulletin board "Men wanted for adventure to South America".  So I called the number and met the person, Jimmy, who seemed normal.  He was trying to get a group of 5-6 people to drive from the US down to the far end of South America.  Everything sounded good except when he said he had no van and that we each had to come up with $1,000 or so to buy a share of the van.

As I mentioned I didn't have any job or money so that was a non-starter there.  Probably would have been a good trip with a little better planning.

I wonder what ever happened to Jimmy?  

No comments:

Post a Comment