Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Back in Austin

I've been in Austin since Monday for a seminar on municipal prosecution. I'm in the lap of luxury at the Omni Downtown which has always been a fine hotel. The location is great. In fact, I have avoided driving anywhere since I've been here. There is much to see/do downtown.

Last night I met up with Clint and Emily and we went to 3 Forks (called III Forks) which is a fine steakhouse. There was a prix fie (sp.?) dinner special with salad, entre and dessert so we all had that. Afterwards they dropped me off and after playing my new Seagull acoustic guitar a while, I headed to the Original Alamo Drafthouse (old Ritz Theater on 6th St.) and saw the movie Willie Nelson's Fourth of July Picnic. The music was good and it was an interesting look back at the 70s. The movie only cost $2 on Monday night - boy was I surprised.

Both yesterday and today I went cycing after the seminar. After being cooped up inside all day, it is great to hit the road. Austin is good for cycling. There are many bike lanes. Today I took the Mount Bonnell Challenge, and tried to summit the 785 foot climb. I made it the back way but the direct assault was won by Mount Bonnell this time. I'll be back! I also ran an hour on the Lady Bird Lake Trail. You'd think I'd be tired but I did get a short nap after the seminar but before the bike ride today.

Tomorrow we have a half day and then I plan to head straight back home to McAllen. I've enjoyed my travel but its time to be back.

2 comments:

  1. Greg, I can never remember how to spell Prixe Fixe, except that in cooking school we always used to call it prixy-fixy. Anyway, $2 for a film, that is like the 60's! Judah and Steve are about to cross the border into Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I spelled it wrong...It's Prix Fixe

    ReplyDelete