Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Monday Oct 19

I was in Dallas these past few days arriving Sunday. I changed my flight to play a round of golf with attorney Steve G. who we had been talking about playing together. It was a nice round of 5 people. We started in the dawn hour at 7:04 am which was particularly early after staying up til 1 am to pick up Sarah from the Pigskin Marching Competition (where the band earned a top score of 1).

I arrived in Dallas about 8 pm and met Jeff for dinner. He brought in an older woman... who was his mother who I had not seen since we were in high school. It was great to catch up with her. She had moved to Pennsylvania for some years to look after her father, who was a Brewmaster (what an interesting job!). After his death, Jeff moved her to Dallas and she seems pretty happy there. She has travelled to a lot of cool places, flown over the Himalayas, been to the Pyramids, the Gallapos Islands and many others.

As it turned out Jeff had a rare week off from work so he agreed to play golf with Randy and Eric and me on Monday. I went by the local office of S-W and after a business meeting went to the golf course, the Tribute.

The course was based on many different British Isles courses. It was a links style course but being on the shores of Lake Lewisville, was a great location. I thought the holes were well done. I particularly like the last 3, which were from Turnberry, and St. Andrews. The last hole, patterned after the 18th at St. Andrews was memorable. Jeff drove the green of this short par 4 and made a 6 foot putt for a rare eagle 2. He was very happy about that. I had a good time on a nice course with very nice weather the whole day.

Afterwards, Jeff suggested we go for steak. I recommended Texas de Brazil and he was up for it. Great dinner! It was not too crowded during the week and we had a nice time. It was really a special occasion for we had not played golf together in several years. Who knows when we'll do it again?

Monday night I went to my friend Bill's house in Highland Village, Texas where he recently moved. I enjoyed seeing their home. It was very up to date and modern, high ceilings, granite counters in kitchen, nice courtyard. Today Tuesday we went to the Corner Bakery where he has become a regular. I left about 9:15 for the airport and barely made the flight, the 2nd to last person to get on. But I made it.

We are getting a new air conditioner. Of course, when I go out of town, things tend to go wrong. The car is coming back tomorrow from San Antonio after 4 weeks in the shop. Welcome home!

No comments:

Post a Comment