Sunday, October 11, 2009

For the Love

I have just returned from Houston for the funeral of my brother in law Rick Ryan. There were many questions asked this past week, the most common being:

Now was this your sister's husband?

Rick was married to my wife's sister Janet from 1981 to 2004. Together they had three children. As I like to say, this isn't the Royal Family. Once you're in, you stay in.

He died Thursday October 1 after suffering a stroke that previous Monday. I went to Houston on Oct 2-4 and had a good visit with my nephews, two of his sons Damon and Joel. Damon's wife of 12 years Lisa was there as well

That Saturday we made arrangments with the local Addison Funeral Home for cremation. That Sunday, Damon and Joel and I took a break to attend the Houston Texans v. Oakland Raiders NFL game. We all enjoyed that, particularly the good club levels seats I obtained from one of my clients in McAllen.

Sunday night I drove over to San Antonion where I spent Monday in San Antonio for car repair and made the most of the trip with some good business meetings. Tueday through Thursday I had municipal court and Thursday was a very fast paced day to catch a 1:55 pm flight back to Houston. I saw Rick's other 2 children nephew Zachary and niece Olivia that night.

Friday October 9 was the funeral date. As if in the movies a cold rainy front blew in. More questions: will the funeral be in the rain? I thought that this could not possibly be the first time it had rained at the cemetery.

The service was held in a Committment Shelter which is were the services are in the Houston National Cemetery. No graveside ceremonies. The shelter was about 20' x 20', open on 3 sides, with benches and also a pedestal for the coffin or in this case the ashes which were covered by the US flag. The local VFW performed the honors. A local chaplain said a few Bible verses and Psalms. I spoke for about 2 minutes for the family.

We all got together that night including Janet for dinner at El Palenque for about 25 people. That is a good local spot that Joel and I have gone to several times. Everyone enjoyed the night out.

Saturday I stayed with my parents. I did a good marathon training run that morning and had lunch at the club with my mother and her friend Sue, who was very interesting having just returned from Macchu Picchu in Peru and the Galapogas Islands and Ecuador. Those are all places I'd like to go. I caught a flight back that afternoon late and made it back just in time to see the Memorial Band perform.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this.. I saw Janet, Zachary and Olivia the weekend before in Weaverville for the family reunion-- we missed you, Susan and Sarah. I hated that the kids had to go through that...it's so hard to lose a parent. I am glad you were there and, in case I haven't said it in a long while, certainly glad you found your way to our family! You are a treasure.....

    ReplyDelete