Tuesday, May 31, 2011

2011 Cap Tex Olympic Triathlon in Austin

I finished the 2011 Cap Tex Olympic Triathlon on May 30 with a time of 3:35, which was 15 minutes faster than last year's time.

For the swim, I hit my goal time of 40 minutes right on the dot. Like last year, I had trouble getting started in the crowd (had google problems this time) but settled into a rhythm after the first buoy and swam a nice pace thereafter. Even passed a few people. Both transitions about 5 minutes each.

The bike leg was actually slower than last year even thought I thought I rode as well as last year. 1:35, which was 5 minutes more than I expected. I'll blame it on the windy conditions. In hindsight, maybe I could have pushed harder on the long straights. But I wanted to do well on the run.

The run course was pretty strong, and I started very nicely before heating up about 2 -3 miles into it. Sun was hot about then. Despite a bit of walking, I was able to continue to run and finished strong, 1:10 for the 10K, running about marathon pace, 11:35. I was just 5 minutes off of my goal time of 65 minutes.

Most importantly, I was not too nervous getting started. I knew I had the training to do the distances. And most surprisingly, I was not completely exhausted after finishing. So that was a nice finish to a good race. The 3 helpings of Chinese food tasted great that night. As well as the celebratory lunch today at Fogo de Chao!

Next on the list: http://www.trifind.com/re_16150/PioneerPowerSprintTriathlon.html on July 31.

No comments:

Post a Comment