Monday, August 1, 2011

Dallas trip

Thursday, after a stressful meeting, I flew up to Dallas arriving about 7:00 and Jeff picked me up at the airport. He had graciously agreed to lend me his extra set of golf clubs so I was able to travel light. I also realized he saved me $50 in checked bag fees. We met up with our friend Richard and went to Aboca's in Richardson where we are regulars. The proprietor Art hooked us up with some off-the-menu specialties. The rack of lamb was outstanding! Afterwards, we played pool at Jeff's house and checked out babes (for him) on Match.com. Now it on the phones, you don't even have to be at the computer.

Friday, we got the bikes set up for the Saturday Goatneck. Then we headed to Ridgeview Ranch for a round of golf. I played with the 1971 model Hogan irons and really liked them. Jeff played left handed and still outdrove me and Dino every time just about. After golf we went to a happy hour and then went to Denton and picked up our triathlon packets and Jeff got to meet Bill. We had a good dinner watching the Rangers at a local sports bar, the PourHouse.

Saturday, we got up at 0430 to drive to Cleburne TX for the Goatneck Cycling Ride. I had heard of it from Jeff so I was glad to go. My cousin Deborah used to live in Cleburne so it was nice to see what that was like. Very West Texas feeling to it. I had a good ride of 41 miles. Jeff did the 70 mile ride and finished not too long after me. We had lunch at the Cotton Patch which I thought would be the Lydia's Cafe of Cleburne. But it was more like a Chili's. It was fun being around all of Jeff's friends.

Saturday night we went to a party by Jeff's co-worker Katie who had just come back from a evangelical mission trip to Ethiopia. It was neat to hear her experiences and see the photos. Plus we had Ethiopian food. I liked it, but it seemed a lot of others were very closed-minded. Their loss. Every one asked "How do you know Katie?" I felt like the wedding crasher.... "I just met her!"

Sunday, we drove to Denton at 0430 (see a pattern?) and did the Pioneer Power Sprint Triathlon. My training paid off and I did all 3 disciplines well. I was particularly proud of my swim and my run.

Then I slept all afternoon to beat the heat. 106 F in Dallas this weekend. Makes our 99 seem OK. Jeff had to fly out to Orange County, CA in the evening, so he packed up, we went to the airport and I got a rental car. I saw the movie "Crazy Stupid Love" starring Steve Carrell and got a good night sleep.

Today, I was thinking "There's no place like home". I had my lunch meeting and an afternoon meeting and then hit the airport. I found out that Love Field was named after an early military aviator, Lt. Moss Love who died in the early 1900s'. I left at 4 and got home at 8:00 pm.

It was an action-packed trip but I must say that I'm glad to be back home and back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment