Saturday, October 29, 2011

Scotch-Irish

While at my favorite bookstore Paragraphs at South Padre Island, I picked up a new book "The Scotch-Irish" by James Leyburn. I had previously read a book Born Fighting by Jim Webb about "Scots-Irish" (his term) and it referenced "Leyburn" a lot.

As it turns out, Professor Leyburn taught at Washington and Lee University, a noted Scots-Irish institution founded in 1749 in a noted Scots-Irish area of our country. In fact, I spent many hours studying in the Leyburn Library there. During my time there in the 80s, it was simply called the University Library but renamed in 1994.

I believe that I'm part of that Scotch-Irish Great Migration from Northern Ireland by way of the Scottish lowlands in the the 1700's to Pennsylvania, then Virginia, then North Carolina and the Ohio Valley. So the book is an interesting heritage lesson. So far, I've been enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment