Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Decade in Review

I received my Rolling Stone magazine recently with "00" on the cover. The issue was dedicated to a review of the 2000s. This decade went quickly and is also worthy of review on This Blog.

Global terrorism hitting the big Western nations affected all of us in the world. Sept 11 2001 was a defining moment we still live with. Not just Americans - when we were in London there was a 9/11 monument. Britain has their 7/7 and Spain the subway bombings. Many soldiers are in Iraq and Afghanistan as a result. Many lives lost.

We are still recovering from the global financial meltdown. Remember Enron? A top performing company in 1999 is down the drain. Home foreclosures, bank bailouts, low interest rates. Financially no one is better off than they were 10 years ago.

Consumer spending is still riding high. With flat, noninflationary pricing and no real investment competition, the ability to buy consumer good and keep the economy churning has reached mainstream status. Retailers always find a way to get in everyone's pocket.

Our move to McAllen TX from Houston in 2002 was a defining step. While its nice to be in a smaller town, I've done more traveling since moving here than I ever did. Prices are certainly low but McAllen is a worldly places and many here set a good example of getting away. That's been a plus.

In the legal world, I have expanding by choice into new areas that I desired to get into: bankruptcy, mechanic's liens, debt collection litigation. I've worked with various Fortune 500 companies, a long time goal. I've continued in two towns to create a significant base of physician clients. I've created two practices in two distinct regions in my career. As I told a friend who was looking for a challenge: "You could move to a new town and start your own law practice!" He wasn't as tough however.

Tort reform has certainly reformed the old way of doing things locally. I've witnessed the change in McAllen - the old dogs have had to learn new tricks which they have not done. The old guard is still holding to old ways but I think I'm on the cusp of what is new. The good old boy network is crumbling and aging and I'm poised to springboard past it to a new network based on more significant traits of a person: content of character to paraphrase MLK.











No comments:

Post a Comment