Thursday, July 23, 2009

Austin Again

I went to Austin for lunch on Wednesday. Then I came home.

For the full story, I left to go Tuesday to Kingville where Rick, Zach and Olivia were visiting. So I had the couch instead of my usual room. I brought both guitars for Zach and me to play and that was a highlight. He's a good player.

I left for Austin at 0615 and made it there 4 hours later. After conducting some business with Jay my jeweler, we had lunch with Mr. Joe Long, noted local philanthropist. The Long Performing Arts Center in Austin is named after him and his wife. He was formerly business partners with an old friend so it was a pleasure to meet him. We had a great lunch at Louie's 106 where the paella was excellent. I look forward to returning.

After I went to the Lions Municipal golf course where I got in 12 holes before the time and heat took its toll. I still had a 4 hour drive back to Kingsville. Muny as it is called, is under attack. The UT System owns the land (Always has - leased to City of Austin) and now they want it back after 80 years. So the "Save Muny" coalition has formed. I agree that Muny should remain a golf course. Its a real benefit to the city and the university and great green space. Plus it's very historic. So I plan on writing a letter of support to the Board of Regents. Highlight of the game: chipped in for birdie 4 on number 8. Also enjoyed seeing what has changed and what has not in the past 30 years. I played many a round there.

I hit Austin traffic heading south right at 5 so I went east toward 183 and took it south to the new toll road TX 45 which went west to I-35. The toll road was interested - no toll booths. My friend Bill said they take a picture and mail you a bill.

I stopped in New Braunfels at Cooper's BBQ, originally out of Llano. It is the "Best BBQ in Texas" according to some polls. It reminded me of Kreutz Market in Lockhart, also "Best BBQ in Texas" . As you can expect, best is a relative term. Both places were huge, could seat hundreds, had large open pits and sold the meat by the pound. I tried the Chicken which was just OK. The peach cobbler however could certainly be the best in Texas. Excellent.

My opinion as to Best BBQ in Texas? Goode Company in Houston. Great selection of meats, including duck. Ribs and brisket top notch. Terrific jalapeno bread and pecan pie. Inside and outside seating.

Best BBQ atmosphere? Rudy's in New Braunfels. Always a good crowd. Friendly staff. I'll go there next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment