Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tucson AZ

I have returned from a great trip to Tucson AZ. Having never been, I enjoyed it a lot and hope to return soon.

Saturday, I did a bike ride early with Oscar who I am going to Colombia with in September. As usual we had a challenging ride. He informed me we would not be doing any competitive cycling in Colombia for which I was glad. He is a strong rider, so I don't always feel the need to keep up every pedal stroke. He also said his son would be taking the Giant bike he had loaned me to boarding school in August, so I'll be returning it and likely looking for my own carbon fiber bike.

I arrived at MFE a bit late for me 30 minutes before since I stopped for the Color Guard car wash. I just had a carry on, it was just me and I only had a carry-on. Flew to DFW and had a longish layover and then a relatively short flight to PHX. I then drove to Saddlebrooke, about 2 hours. The road south, Highway 79 was interesting, past the site where Tom Mix died and very postcardish of Arizona.

Dinner Sat. night with Aunt Sue and Uncle Herb and Cousin Jon was a fine welcome. I had not seen then in 7 years so great to catch up. I wisely decided to stay with then all 3 nights rather than unpack, repack and shuttle to a lonely hotel. Their sofabed was every bit as nice as the Embassy Suites sofabed where I've slept several times.

Sunday we got up and hit the road early to Chase Field in Phoenix to see the D-Backs play the Florida Marlins. We stopped at the I-10 reststop in Coolidge where the locals sold Native American jewelry. When we got to the game, we were able to park in the handicap spot in the garage right next to the stadium. Good thing we got there early. Even the HC spots fill up with persons who might not be so handicapped. Jon and I toured the various HC seats and also checked out the pool inside. The ushers and patrons were very helpful to us.

The stadium was so very similar to Minute Maid Park in Houston. Also the game: the D-Backs lost and it was not every too interesting. Just like the last Astros game I saw. I did have a good burrito there. After we went to Joe's Farm Grill at Guy Fieris' suggestion and it was great. We got home about 9:00 p.m.

Monday we went to Mt. Lemmon in the Coronado National Forest. Jon has said it was a 150 round trip which was not an exagerration (sp?). But it was worth it. Once we got going up, the first area was interesting desert vegetation and a fine smell. On the way up, there were beautiful vistas and rock formation. But when we got toward the top it was really something. The temperature dropped, the trees got lush, we had a picnic, the sun cast nice shadows, the cloud formations changed, there were places where people lived and worked. It was like being in the mountains of North Carolina - very unique for Tucson.

I had dinner Monday night with Janice, Neda and Jenna. I also met Janice's husband Brian but he turned in early after a long day. It was great to see their home and spend some time with them. They seemed happy to have me. Not many persons can make the trip. Jon graciously allowed me to make the visit while he waited, certainly above and beyond.

Tuesday was the return travel day. I left Saddlebrooke about 9:30 am and drove to Grayhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale to scout it out. Very nice place to which I plan to return to play golf. Then it was a quick drive to PHX when I checked in nice and early and returned home. Flight from PHX to DFW very quick. I had the interesting option to purchase a first class upgrade from DFW to MFE for $45 but declined. Maybe next time. Home at 11:30 pm

It was a great trip and a nice getaway. Hope to go again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment