Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Bookie

One of the "jobs" I have taken is that of collection of rent. Now of course you would understand that I would file a lawsuit for collection of rent and accept a payment on behalf of a client to settle that lawsuit.

In this case, the renter has now imprinted on me (like a baby bird) that I am the person to pay her rent to. She must think that the landlord (a perfectly nice guy) is potentially unpleasant, so she seeks me out. Every 2 weeks (certainly every month) she calls to say she'd like to come by the office to pay the rent (approx. $600/month). So she stops by, always paying in cash. So I write her out a receipt and then have the responsibility to get that cash to the landlord.

Now I don't really mind because:
the landlord is a good friend on mine
the lady is a pretty person
I'm a pretty nice person


Yesterday she called to say that I was closed when it was convenient for her so could I come by her place of work to pick up the cash. So I wrote a receipt and arranged to drive by early.

It was like out of a movie: I was in my black sedan driving up. I was wearing my suit. She was waiting in her gold Chevy in the parking lot. She looked at me driving up. I flashed my lights. We both got our of our cars briefly. We exchanged basic greetings and plain white envelopes in the parking lot. I put the cash in pocket and I drove off. She walked into work. No looking back

This must be how bookies operate.

No comments:

Post a Comment