Friday, November 5, 2010

Great Friends

Today was a special day. I got an unexpected call from one of my oldest friends Erich who was in McAllen today. That necessitated a clearing of schedule! You'll recall that I visited him in Germany in 2006.

He was in town for a Weslaco H.S. band reunion. They were going to set some record for the largest band marching. So he brought out his old trombone and along with the other 75 :) would be leading "the big parade".

It was great to catch up. He's doing great in his career as a Navy Officer. In fact he recent got a Command - in Hawaii. So he's here tonight and going to Hawaii tomorrow. Another step to O-6 Captain which is very difficult to achieve. But he's on track. So it was wonderful to hear how he was making it happen. I told him about cousin Charlie and he was pretty familiar with that aspect of the US Navy, being a pilot himself.

We've sure come a long way from Kindergarten at Briargrove Elementary, walking to school together, and playing with GI Joes in his front yard. Lots of memories! He was talking about his mother and stepfather Herman and it really brought back a lot of thoughts. I knew both of them pretty well. Now Beverly is deceased and Herman has Alzheimer's. Both very fine people.

I couldn't help but smile hearing him tell about what he was doing. It really made me proud.

I've got the best friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment