Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sittin on a Bar Stool

Actually, I'm sitting in the Austin Java coffee shop. That old Charlie Daniels song "Drinkin My Baby Goodbye" was on the radio on the way up and it was in my head. It'd be a good one to learn to play - Pour me another one/I'm finished with the other one/I'm drinkin my baby goodbye.

There was a lot of drinking going on this weekend for the Gonzalez Palacios TMLT golf tournament that I came here for. I got here Friday and played golf in the afternoon. The guy I played with Vinny took advantage of the Buy 5 beers Get 1 Free offer on the course - twice. He had some help with them from the other 2 players. Then Friday night they had a nice dinner and the bar was open late. I enjoyed the dinner but snuck out at 11 to get back to the hotel.

The tournament was a lot of fun. I really like the course - reminded me of my old home courses here in Austin, Lions Municipal and Riverside. I played pretty good but there were a lot of good players here. Afterwards we had a mid day lunch - a la Thanksgiving. It broke up about 3:30. I was ready to play golf again (nothing else to do) so I went and got my putter and wedge to go to the practice green about 4:30.

I took a wrong turn and was on the golf course. The green was open so I hit a few shots into it. Looked different. Then there was a trail that led to the tee box through the bottom of a creek bed. Amazing what you find exploring. Then I was on a tee box. Looked different. Hit a shot. Still different.

I realized I was on the other course. And since it was so late, I was the ONLY one out there. So... I proceed to play the other course with a wedge and putter. Stayed out til it was dark. A lot of fun!

REminded me of another song "Sign Says - you ain't supposed to be here!" But I was a resort guest and dressed for the occasion so nobody noticed. :)

I went to see the movie 127 Hours and really liked it. It's probably an Austin thing but check it out if it comes to your town.

No comments:

Post a Comment