Monday, June 27, 2011

Spina Bifida 250 - Done!

On Friday, June 24 at 0600, 70 cyclists left the parking lot of Fred Loya Insurance in McAllen led by the Official Pace Van driven by me. I was driving the support van and leading the faster A Group. And fast they were. We left McAllen heading toward McCook making good time. I'd say that the group was riding 20 -21 mph the whole way.

From McCook we headed north and west to San Ysidro, a small ranch town where we stopped at the local church. Father Rene was generous with our use of the parish hall. From there we headed north on FM 1017 to Hebbronville. At the Border Patrol checkpoint, the guards asked me if anyone else was in the van with me. Just me!

Hebbronville meant that I needed to refill the water, ice and Gatorade. As we stopped I set up the tables for liquids and any snacks. These riders didn't need much food but they were thirsty. We continued after lunch toward Freer, another 40 miles. The riders were OK that first 95 miles but roundly complained of the bad chip seal road and the heat. They were proud to finish but knew they had done something special. Toward the end we stopped at a picnic area and everyone enjoyed lingering in the shade.

In Freer we staeyd in local motels and in the junior high gym. I got a space in a room with Oscar who was whipped from the ride. He slept quite soundly until it was time to get up at 0400. I shuttled riders back to the start line. They left again at 0600 and I continued the drive on Saturday.

There was no AC in the Sports Federation van that I drove but it was nice in the morning. Driving at 20 mph keeping the right distance in front is challenging. Plus there was passing traffic and oncoming traffic to look for. We stopped for lunch in Jourdanton about 11 and left at 12. We arrived at the end in the Medina River Natural Area about 4 p.m. Not without two flats within a mile of the end. Plus, to finish in the park, there was a large hill - quite unexpected.

There was a celebration planned with the Spina Bifida Texas association. THey had invited many of the local families affected by SB. Children with different wheelchairs, walkers, crutches were there. I took the opportunity to visit with them and they were regular folk but placed in extraordinary circumstances.

I was honored that the group recognized me for my contribution as a driver with a Cinemark gift card. But most importantly, I was asked to make the check presentation and was able to make a few remarks and then make the donation for the group of $10,000 to the director. He was quite surprised and emotional. Then the final highlight was our ride captain's daughter Suzannah who has SB and said "Thank you - this makes me happy"

No comments:

Post a Comment