Thursday, January 20, 2011

Bad News - an old friend

My first legal clerk job in 1990 was with attorney John Cochran, a real estate lawyer in Houston. He was a real gentleman, old school, former president of the club. I remember going to see him about a job and he was gracious, basically hiring a person with no experience. And at a good wage as I recall. I worked there for 6 weeks and tried my best to do a good job, even though I was pretty inexperienced. I had other jobs but that was the place I remember the most.

Fast forward, his son, also a Houston lawyer, a friend of mine (although I haven't seen him in some time)...


HOUSTON - A Houston attorney is facing a lot of time behind bars. Harris County prosecutors say Robert Greg Cochran, 47, took advantage of his clients after allegedly settling their legal cases and keeping the money.

Cochran was hired to represent Houston Flower Shop owner Peter Razzouq in a dispute with his landlord. Prosecutors say Cochran learned of an insurance claim Razzouq had from Hurricane Ike and began work on that aspect of the case without his client’s permission.
Investigators say Cochran actually settled the case and never told Razzouq about the $140,000 he pocketed. The Houston business owner says he's been ruined by Cochran's actions.

There is a second case prosecutors are releasing few details on at this point.
Harris County Court records show Cochran admitted taking Razzouq's money after meeting with the alleged victim in a dinner meeting.

Cochran is being held at the Harris County Jail on a $600,000 bond.

The video referenced a gambling problem - as my sister put it, SAD!

No comments:

Post a Comment