Tuesday, January 18, 2011

To Midland and Back

One of my goals is to drive to California. I accomplished leg #1 this last 3 days by going from McAllen to Midland (590 miles) and another goal was to drive the 80mph speed limits of I-10W in the AMG. Done! The 80 mph road did not disappoint as there was very little traffic. Like most roads, left lane for passing, and everyone kept about to the limit, but I could comfortably cruise at 83 mph. Very smooth! I left Sunday at 0800 and took the back way through Freer and Tilden (Highway 16 where it is 75 mph) and caught I35 to I-10 San Antonio.

I went to visit my friend Bill W. who moved from Harlingen back to his home town of Midland. I had not seen him in a while and of course, had never been to Midland. It reminded me of Albuquerque - high plains, dry air, kind of a little big town. Sunday night we had dinner at his apartment with his stepdaughter Hillary who was visiting from Texas Tech. That was a highlight. We went out for ice cream afterwards.

Monday was MLK Day so it was a holiday and we all spent it running around to get Hillary's car worthy for the next semester (inspection, oil change, insurance card). She left and then we drove around and saw the George W. Bush boyhood home, Midland H.S., Bill and Sean's homes, the Midland Country Club and a few other neighborhoods. Sean is our mutual friend whom put us together. That night we went to the Wall ST. Bar and Grill and it was a very nice local place. I recommend it. I had the teriyaki shishkebob with fried shrimp, wild rice, bleu cheese salad, bread and strawberry cheesecake. I was a happy guy!

Today I left about 7 after a Cracker Barrel breakfast but got lost and didn't leave Midland until about 8. The GPS system went haywire, after the antenna broke. I got on track and enjoyed the drive back, going past the Table Mesa Mountains. The Pecos area is very interesting. Then back on I-10 East, very little traffic. Got to San Antonio at 1:00 with time for lunch and got to my 2:00 meeting early.

Leaving San Antonio at 4:00, things caught up to me after it got dark. I took it easy and made regular stops, but got home at 8:15. No one home! Sarah is at a basketball game and Susan a work dinner.

Now that I've show I can drive across Texas, next step, to Tucson and then to So Cal!

No comments:

Post a Comment