Sunday, January 2, 2011

My Best Golf Round

Interestingly, my best round of 69 (October 27, 1982) had a similar disjointedness.

I played the first 9 holes with Tracy and Flip. Shot 34 (-2). It was about 5:00 pm when we finished. They left so I had to find a new person to play the second 9 with me.

I teamed up with Clint for the second 9. I hit #10 in regulation but I was on the back and the pin was in the front. Green sloped back to front. I 4-putted for a 6. Now I'm back to even par.

I did settle down and parred the next 2 holes and then birded #12 and #13 to go back to -2. It was white-knuckle ride to finish. Lots of pressure! On # 17 (long par 3, I hit a good 3 iron but missed the green and made a gutsy up and down for par. On # 18, I hit driver / wedge to 4 feet. With the pressure on to shoot 68 and score the best of any Austin High player that I knew ... I missed it. 69.

Looking back at the scorecard, I also see that there were temporary tees set up. The tees on many (not all) holes were forward of the usual places. Considering that Lions Municipal in Austin was 6001 yards from the blue tees, it was definitely playing short. But as my dad said "You played the course as you found it". And no one else on the golf team shot anywhere near that low that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment