Friday, September 4, 2009

Busy before Holiday Weekend

The Friday before Labor Day is always a busy day. When no one is working on Monday and fewer people that Friday before, there is a rush to finish things.

I did attend a mediation today and settled a case which I had been working on for more than 2 years. I took the case on a pro bono basis (free) after a request from Dr. Carlos who used to employ this person. He suggested she talk to me and I took the case. It was a family law case: this couple had married in 1988, divorced in 2002 and then got back together enough to have a 4th child outside of marriage in 2004. So we had over 20 years of problems to deal with, many years of unpaid child support and no child support for the newest child.

Long story short, we came up with numbers to resolve the money and came up with a solution as to who the youngest child would live with. Glad to come to a resolution.

Another good part was being able to use a mediator friend. This person had been a local attorney but had his law license suspended. As on a type of probation, he was not able to work as an attorney. He was able to be a mediator though (don't need to be an attorney). So I pushed for him to get the work. He was effective and it was also a good way to show that I don't think he should be put on the scrap heap. He'll be back soon enough.

The Wren family is coming to South Padre tomorrow for the 3 day weekend. They are bringing both sets of "girls", 2 teenage daughters and 2 fuzzy dogs. I am planning to do some bike riding and some surfing.

Fantasy football line up is set for next Thursday's game. I guess I'll miss it though since I'll be on a plane to Bogota Colombia Thursday night. That's coming up fast. I don't have to take my bike so that reduces the hassle of luggage a lot.

1 comment:

  1. What are you going to be doing in Bogota? Or is a secret lol?

    ReplyDelete