Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sunday Sept 13



Up early at 0600 for cycling. I was completely out of it on the drive over there. We stopped for breakfast and I had to walk around outside to try and clear my head. This place was El Ranchito near the airport. After breakfast and coffee I felt much better. O joked that I would lose breakfast on the ride but I figured he was just being macho - he'd probably say that to Lance Armstrong.

We started the ride with Tio Luis following in the SAG car. We rode w Cousin Carlos also (dad of Sara from First Communion yesterday and Luis's son in law).

Glad we had the SAG. This climb was like going up the mountain to Angel Fire. UP and up and up. Very steep. I thought of quitting but I had breath and was able to pedal steadily. The bike I was on was borrowed from O's brother in law Jorge and it was a bit small esp. when I had to stand on the pedals. So I tried to stay down. I made it up to the top.

Then it was down the mountain. Wow! Exhilirating! I got up to about 50 Km/hr without pedalling and had to ride the brakes down since there was a little wetness on the road. Figured I'd live to ride another day.

Then the ride was rolling hills into the town of La Cena and then San Antonio where we stopped at the home of Jose Ignacio & Ana Maria (from Friday) and met their 3 children

Also there were Jorge & Blanca (Jose's parents). The farm had been in the family since 1925. Rustic and nice. Very nice family. The parents only speak English to the children at home and the children go to the German school so they are tri-lingual. Why can't we do that in America?

Back to lunch with all the family at Montongo, a big restaurant with fast service. Had the house specialty, AJI, like a tortilla soup. Then back to Apt. for the obligatory nap.

Then off to soccer (futbol) game between Medellin Independiente (RED) and Nacional Antioquia (GREEN). Medellin won 3-1 and Oscar was very excited. Like a Red Sox/Yankees game, lots of fans with strong feelings. I saw Diego and Diana (Thursday) there. Both "end zones" were full of the opposing fans. Strong feelings made everyone wear neutral colors. We were in good seats (about "30 yd line") in the shade (sombra) like a bullfight (better seats in shade).
We went with brothers Hector and Luis Guillermo & his 2 sons.

After going back to the apt. O said we would go to a business meeting - might be "kind of boring."

Anything but! We went to Hooters of Medellin which could have been transplanted from any place in the US. It was in an area of restaurants called Parque Lleras. At the meeting were Rodrigo and Ana and their son Alejandro "Mac" - 12 yrs old. Also Juliana and Jorge (dueno/owner of the bike I'm riding and brother/son of Blanca).

While the adults had their business meeting Mac & I talked in perfect English (he goes to the English bilingual school called Colombus). We played games on his iTouch and had hot wings. He was like Sarah, mature for a young person. They say only children are like that - used to being around adults. The evening was a lot of fun

No comments:

Post a Comment