Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Top 100 Golf Courses

For years, the golf magazines have rated the "Top 100" courses. Typically they mirror where the major tournaments have been played over the years, with a bias toward East Coast/Midwest private courses.

With the advent of a course building boom there has been pressure to revise the rankings to include newer courses and also public-accessible courses. Donald Trump is an example - after he builds his "great" course, he wants it recognized as such. As a result the lists have changed quite a bit. Looking at the most recently one I saw, there was only one course in Texas, and one that has only been around for about 10 years, Dallas National. I saw it on a map and drove by on my last trip - its on the near east side of town which has not developed like the other three sides.

Also recently added Whispering Pines, a course I have played. Dad likes that one a lot. He had some "hook up" that allowed him to go there when he wanted to. Never asked exactly what the deal was - figured I didn't need to know. Also off the beaten track - 2 hours north of Houston.

There are several blogs out there about quests to play all 100 top courses. While I don't have that quest, I have played some good ones. In the future, I'll describe some of the places I have golfed.


No comments:

Post a Comment