Sunday, September 27, 2009

My tuxedo history


Saturday afternoon I went to purchase a new tuxedo. We had a black tie event Sat. night to go to and and afterward the Museum Collage party next month so I figured the old one from 1998 was due to be replaced.

It got me thinking about my first tuxedo which I purchased in 1984. I had to special order the pants, size 31, from Reynolds-Penland in Austin, Texas. That store of course is no longer - at the corner of W. 24th and Guadalupe, I think its a Gap now.

For the first few years, I had this red plaid tie/cummerbund which I wore year-round. Looking back it was probably more Christmas-ish but that is what I started with. I ended up getting a black bow tie and cummerbund (which I think I bought at a resale shop). That was in 1987 and I just replaced the set on Saturday. Interestingly the new bow tie was a little bigger. Things change over 20 years! The new cummerbund was much nice - more substance to it, heavier material.
The new shirt was a nice update.

The second tux was purchased in 1998 in Houston at Jos. A. Bank. I remember my salesman Eric as being a nice person. I purchased the shawl (rounded) collar which was a bit more preppy/Eastern which was desirable as a Washington & Lee student. It has been a few places as well such as my sister Elizabeth's wedding in 2002 but mainly served the purpose of being able to look my best at the "Black Tie Optional" parties which women love to get dressed up for. A man who know what to wear is a prize. I also enjoyed wearing it to several stag dinners at the Houston Country Club with my dad in the 90s.

The old style wing tip shirt (my first one) has also gone the way of rumble seats. As time went by, the tip which could be worn any way at first were "always supposed to tucked in". Now I don't think you could find one easily.

Shoes: Originally I wore a very fine pair of black Luchesse ostrich boot with my tuxedo. You can imagine what those preppies in Virginia thought of them. They did look good though and were memorable. Eventually I got a pair of black loafers and then a pair of wing tip shoes. I've never had a pair of patent leather shoes or the bow ties slipons favored in New York. In fact at our wedding in 1990, one the rules I laid down was "no plastic shoes".

At our wedding, I did not wear my own tuxedo but rather rented the white tie and tails which I felt very sharp wearing. That was July 14, 1990. They say you need to wear those to a State Dinner at the White House. If (WHEN!) I go, I'll plan to buy my own. In fact we saw Alonzo Saturday night and he was talking about going to a State Dinner where he sat at the table with the King of Spain as well as Meg Ryan.

I still have and use the cuff links and studs I purchased in Alvin-Dennis in Lexington, Virginia in 1984. Basic black. When I was back in Lexington in 2007 I told Mr. Alvin Carter that I still had and used them, and he seemed pleased. He did inquire what happened to my size 31 waist though.









1 comment:

  1. Oh you can't post all this and not give us a picture of you in the new tux... we saw pics of you with the bike on your trip...

    I will so expect a tux picture one day soon!

    ReplyDelete