Saturday, September 19, 2009

Saturday Sept 12

I woke up at 0800 and had huevitos revueltos (scrambled eggs) w Gilberto.

Oscar had been out but got back in a hurry (that'll be a common theme...) and was ready for bike riding. We drove towards the airport, up the mountain and stopped at a store, Caballo de Troyo, a gift store run by Nelson. We unloaded the bikes and started to ride up the mountain.

It didn't take more than a minute or two for me to get short of breath. I got pretty worried - had not experienced that altitude problem. I tried to breath in/out as best as I could and to keep going. I thought "What if I was NOT in shape?"

I found a rhythm and kept going and did OK. Then we turned around and went down (bajar). That was much faster - the reward (prometido). Oscar said he prefers to climb (subir) as it was safer/slower. I'm the opposite. We rode about an hour.

We had to go to the luncheon for the First Communion of Sara and Ana Maria. Lots of family. Like a Thanksgiving.

The father of Ana Maria is Jose Vicente, husband of Dora, O's sister. He looks German (blond hair/blue eyes). He spoke English pretty well so we talked in English.

Luis Antonio teased me a little as I ordered some "Agua" which they knew as "Water" which sounds like "Guaro" which is liquor (Whar-Oh). So when I ordered something, they'd croak "Gauro!" :)
Luis Guillermo thought that was funny. He's O's brother, and is married to Lilian and they have 2 sons, Sebastian 13 and Santiago (Santi) 10. Santi was a mother's boy, stroking his mom's hair.

I had the sotomillo which is a type of flank/ribeye steak. I had the Jugo de Fresa (strawberry juice) and also a "Canada" (Canada Dry Ginger ale). There was good service at the restaurant, San Carbon. I saw some Americans there but was happy to be doing things my way even if I am a bit lost sometimes.

Back to the apt. for a 1.5 hr nap. Not sure why I am sleeping so much. Then Oscar & I left for dinner with some friends. They were children of his former partner. He was talking about getting into the farm/cattle business with them. He talked of education, work, sacrifice. One woman there was 8 1/2 months pregnant so she was most uncomfortable on the hard chairs. The restaurant was in a nice area El Poblado and was upscale. It had 3 different types of food, steak, Italian and Peruvian (Peruvan). So of course I tried the Peruvan rice dish with seafood mixed in.




No comments:

Post a Comment