Saturday, September 19, 2009

Friday Sept 11 - Medellin Colombia

Our flight left IAH Houston for BOG Bogota at midnight and it was a 5 hour flight. I took some sleep aid (benadryl) and it went pretty fast. After clearing customs, we found a place for breakfast in the airport about 0600 (things were opening up).

Diana had taken Ambien to sleep and said she felt like she was hung over. I imagine that the drug affects the same parts of the mind/body as does alcohol, so I would expect a similar withdrawal feeling. Glad I didn't have it.

We then flew by Copa Airlines to MDE (Medellin) arriving about 8:30 am. Oscar's uncle Luis Antonio met us at the airport to drive us back. I thought he was Oscar's dad at first. On the way down the mountain we saw lots of cyclists

Oscar's parents live in a high rise - very nice place. Staying there was Father Gilberto, the priest who married Oscar & Blanca in 88. He is a priest now in Stockton, CA. We had breakfast with mother Alicia and Fr. Gilberto. Gilberto suggested I get some sleep and I slept for 3 hrs.

At the apartment are 2 housekeepers, Maria Elena & Olga. Maria seemed to flirt a little - don't think she has many visitors like me :)

We went out for a drive in Oscar's 83 Mitsubishi. On the way I noticed all motorcyclists/motor scooter riders (both riders) wear ID vests and mandatory helmets with the same ID number on. Oscar said it is a response to previous violence by cyclists.

We visited Jorge and Blanca, O's wifes (also Blanca) parents. Their son's Pedro and Jose Ignacio & his wife Ana Maria came over. We went to dinner (menos Pedro) at a place Hato Viejo and had a typical Colombian dinner of rice, meat, chicharonnes, egg & beans. Lot of food. Also figs for dessert - very sweet. I was full and we went back to the apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment